The Tongariro National Park is dominated by three andesitic volcanoes, making the Tongariro Alpine Crossing one of the most breathtaking and fascinating day walks in the world! Walk through retreating glaciers and amazing volcanic activity with Adrift, alongside informative guides who are sure to make your Tongariro Alpine Crossing experience absolutely unforgettable.
What You'll Love About This Trip:
- Pass three majestic andesitic volcanoes, Mt Tongariro , Mt Ngaururhoe and Mt Ruapehu
- Take in amazing textures, colours and landscapes as you walk through South Crater, Central Crater, Red Crater, North Crater and Te Maari Crater
- View the stunning Emerald Lakes and Blue Lake
- In the height of winter, the lakes freeze and turn sparkly white
- For Lord of the Rings fans, part of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing route leads up to the saddle of Mt Tongariro and Mt Ngauruhoe (aka. Mt Doom)
Please phone Adrift the day prior (before 7pm) to reconfirm your tour. 0800462374 or +6478922751
- Trips operate everyday, weather and minimum numbers permitting
- Trips operate in all weather conditions providing the tour is safe. Be prepared for all types of weather conditions (sun, rain, snow, wind, cloud, etc.), or if you prefer better weather day, you can postpone your trip to another date.
- No experience is needed
- We have a 1: 8 guide to client ratio
- A medium level of fitness is required
- The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is 21kms
- For Winter Guided trips you will need to bring: Lunch, water (1-1.5 litres), personal medications (e.g. Asthma inhaler, blister protection etc), sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack, hiking boots, thermal longs and/or walking trousers& over-trousers, 3-warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), waterproof raincoat, warm hat and gloves.
- Crampons and ice axes are provided by Adrift
- Adrift Base is: 3 Waimarino-Tokaanu Road, National Park Village
Winter Guided Tongariro Alpine Crossing
We’ll advise on the weather
- We’ll confirm the meeting/pick up times as they can vary slightly from the times listed
- National Park Village: 7.30am
- Turangi: 6.45am. Travel time to National Park Village– 40mins one-way
- Taupo: 6am. Travel time to National Park Village– 1.5 hrs one-way
2. Visit the Adrift base in National Park Village on the morning of the trip:
- We’ll check your footwear& clothing so you will be comfortable on the walk. We have a vast range of outdoor clothing and boots if you require extra gear.
- We’ll fit your crampons
3. Walk the Tongariro Alpine Crossing!
- The walk starts at Mangatepopo (1100 m), and commences at Ketetahi (750m). The highest point on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is Red Crater (1882m).
4. Drive back to National Park Village, Turangi or Taupo
Departures / Pickups
Please telephone us the day prior (before 7pm), and we will advise on the weather and confirm the meeting/pick up times. Times can sometimes vary slightly from those listed below
- Taupo pick-up: 6am. Travel time one way – 1.5 hours
- Turangi pick-up: 6.45am. Travel time one way– 40mins
- National Park Village meeting time: 7am
Departure from Taupo and Turangi are subject to minimum numbers.